Tuesday 19 October 2010

Silversmithing 101

Hi again!
As part of my jewellery journey I've signed up for a 10 week beginner's course at a local college.  I've committed to getting out of my bed early every Saturday until the middle of December - that's how keen I am!!
My first class was two weeks ago and we all walked out at the end of the three hour class with a finished piece of jewellery.  Result!!

Our lecturer presented us all with a piece of sterling silver D-wire which we made into a ring.  I shaped, sawed, soldered, hammered, filed and polished and ended up with this:



Apologies for the shoddy photos (the OH is the expert at those and he's not in).  However, I have to say I'm pretty chuffed with the result.  I had never soldered before but I've been wearing the ring for the past two weeks now and the solder join has held.  Woop woop!

I'll update you on the results of week two soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment